Sunday, February 11, 2007

Accepted

I sent my story to the editor last week and just got news from her that it would be accepted if I can do some edits.

I am so delighted because this is not children's fiction but a horror story for adults. This author/editor is new to me and I'm happy to hear her comments that I am a good storyteller and that she enjoyed the story with the good twist in the end.

Now, comes the difficult part, revising to make it more acceptable to her before we move on to contents editing. I'm not sure if I can do it on time especially when I am so very busy at work this month and the future months to come. But I really want this story published. Sigh!

I think I can't write well although I love to write. My learning difference problem is really hard to deal with at this time. I know I tend to simplify language and it really takes so much of my time just to write something that comes so naturally to others. I need a collaborator.

Yeah, self doubt, self doubt!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations on the acceptance. Did the editor specify the changes she/he wants made? If not, maybe you could ask for some guidance?

Laura

David said...

Congratulations on the acceptance.
I agree with Laura,you should ask the ed for guidance. He/she might extend your deadline and publish your work in a later edition of the mag. When your story is published, let us know where so we
can buy a copy.

David.

Autumn said...

Laura - Thanks for the congrats. Sorry for the late reply though. I've been out of town and without internet access.

Yes, the editor did mention what edits she wanted in her acceptance email to me. Basically, I've to make my language more "professional" and my sentences/dialogue more interesting plus those advice on similes and cliches we offer to new posters at PFFA.

I've to think up new and non-cliched similes which I should be able to handle. It's the language as a whole which I may experience difficulty in. But given time I should be able to do it. I hope they'll help with the grammar I'm unable to "see". :-)

Autumn

Autumn said...

David - Thanks for the congrats.

The editor did give me her comments as detailed in my reply to Laura. Basically, I've to come up with something better in term of language before I can re-submit to her.

The deadline for the initial submission was end February which was why I rushed out my work to her. I took the risk of her rejecting it because of the rather basic language or her liking the storyline so much she'd accept it if I could make my language more "beautiful". (I think she's very kind and I'm grateful she's giving me this opportunity.)

However, she did not mention a second deadline for the edits and I have not asked her. If it's end February, I will definitely not be able to make it. I'll check with her in a couple of days. But I do know the book's due to be published in April.

I'll let you know when the book's out and if my story's in it. Thanks. :-)

Autumn