Saturday, May 05, 2007

Orthopedic

Today, Dad went for a check-up on his spine and hips at the orthopedics. The x-ray taken the other day showed that he has mild OA. He has been complaining about some slight pain on both sides around the groin area. The gastroenterologist which did the colonscopy was not able to answer our queries and we had to make an appointment with the orthopedist quickly to quell our apprehension that the pain could be a symptom of something serious.

Dad's blood test results have shown a slightly high PSA count and though this is expected of an old man his age, we are ignorant enough to fear that prostate cancer may have spread to the bones. Today, we found out that his bones are normal except for an onset of osteoporosis around the hips but again this is expected of a man his age. I informed the othopedist that the gastroenterologist has told me that Dad's prostate is slightly larger than normal but is smooth. I asked and the othopedist told me that if it was cancerous, it would be rough. Further if there was prostate cancer, the PSA level would be much higher than my Dad's. But he advised us to check again in three to six months time.

He then explained to me that Dad's condition is due to nerves and it's called meralgia parasthetica (he even wrote it nicely on a piece of paper for me and said I could read up on this). Nice guy. We got more from him than the gastroenterologist and also charged a much lower fee despite being a surgeon as well.

It was a stressful day again but at least I'm happy now, Dad's in good health for his age. Next stop will be at the eye clinic to look at his cataract. He also has retinitis pigmentosa which is incurable but hopefully after the cataract is operated on, his vision will be slightly better. Then, three months from now, to the surgeon to check on his prostate.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Glad to know your dad is okay. My father, too, is getting up in years and it worries me. He had triple bypass surgery a few years ago. I hope our fathers have many years ahead of them. Take care and I will read again soon.

Sincerely,
Andrew

Autumn said...

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad too that your dad is doing well. I can see that you care for him a lot. Take care of him and take care of yourself too.

I'll stop by your blog to read when I have a bit of time later.

best wishes,
Autumn