Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Anxiety Over Going Back To Work

I'm having a little anxiety attack over going back to work next week. Reality seems to be returning into my life.

On Monday, I took a medical test for the new job. It was a rather basic test which included an eye-sight test, colour blindness test, a urine test and a simple physical examination. Other than my blood pressure being on the higher end of normal, I passed the test without any problem. X-ray which was at the doctor's discretion was not required.

Then, yesterday, someone from HR called and asked me how she can pass the car-park card to me. Looks like there's no escape from working with this organisation. After all that I have gone through, especially the tedious interviews prior to securing the job, I know I just can't back off now.

At the first interview, after going through 30 minutes with two senior managers, one of them left and the HR Director was called in. I went through another 15 minutes of questioning, by which time the HR Director has also given his approval to my employment. Then, I had to take a 100 multiple-choice questions English Test within 20 minutes and write a short essay within the next 10 minutes! After this, I had to take a personality test and by then, my head was already aching.

I was then told that since the Executive Director was in, I might as well meet her so that I would not need to come back another day. It was not surprising that by the time I met her and another lady (not sure who she was but must be someone senior), I was really tired physically and mentally. At the end of the interview, I was told that they would need to check with the Managing Director who was not in the office that day, whether he would need to meet me when he was back in town before confirming me for the job.

I kept my fingers crossed that I would not be required to meet him because at that time I was extremely busy with my old job and I was having a bad flu. Unfortunately, luck was not with me. So one day, after postponing the appointment once and couldn't put it off any longer, with a voice like a frog, I went to meet the MD. I knew he was judging me in terms of self presentation and social interaction. I managed to pass this as well.

That's how I got the job.

Which army am I joining?

No comments: