Saturday, September 01, 2007

Farewell 2

On the last day of my work in the office, the office tea lady said to me "chun hai ng sei tak nei chow" (Cantonese pinyin). It means something like "hate to see you go and will miss you".

Although she's one "dragon lady" in her field but she and I got along really well. I would always throw my waste paper into a special box for her to collect for recycling (she gets paid when she sells the paper) and gave her lai see (red packet) every Chinese New Year as a personal thank you for all the times she made drinks for me. But I can see that it's not because of these that she said those parting words to me. I know, from those times when we talk at the pantry, she has a certain respect for me and I really appreciate that.

There were two office boys whom I also gave lai see. One came to shake my hand and said he only just knew I was leaving that day so he was unprepared with any parting gift. I wished him well and said I did not expect any which was why I only told him I was leaving on my last day of work. The other office boy was working late and helped me cart my five years of "rubbish" to my car. They, understanding the office environment, had always provided me with prompt service whenever I wanted my documents despatched and they know I appreciate them.

Note: A lai see can be given by an elder to a youngster and from a superior to a subordinate. I'm still trying to search for a better link on this custom.

No comments: