Friday, September 07, 2007

Dad's Sunglasses and Eyedrops

I'm a little hyperactive again and more than a little "talkative". These are times when I've so much to talk and write about. I guess when I'm working I use up all my energy at work and am no longer hyperactive at home. Hmm, is that a good thing?

Now, I want to write about my dad's sunglasses and eyedrops. This morning he wanted to go out to the garden to water the plants but because of his recent cataract surgery, the sunlight was too bright for him. He whipped out an old pair of sunglasses and put it on. He has ripped off the right lens leaving only the left lens intact. He wanted to wear the glasses like an eyepatch on his left eye which was operated on. I was a little frustrated at him. I know that it was still a good pair of glasses although when questioned he lied that the right lens was already cracked. I just had to tell him not to mutilate good things even though they may be old stuff. I could easily have gotten him an eye patch if he had wanted it. I was really upset because I hate to see good things being destroyed. More so when I know that my mother had worn those glasses before.

Yesterday and this morning, I taught my father to do the eyedrops himself. I understand his difficulty since he can't see well with his other eye either. Anticipating the volume of wastages, I had bought an extra bottle of eyedrops from the doctor yesterday. Sure enough, my dad will drop the antibiotic onto his eyelids, below his eyes and almost poke the bottle into his eyes but after a few attempts the drops will hit the right target. And he gets grouchy at me when I try to correct him.

I had to teach him to administer the antibiotic drops himself because I know I would be out for lunch today for at least two hours. And in another week's time, I'll be starting work at my new job and there won't be anyone at home to take care of him until night time when I come home. The doctor did say that after a week, he'll only need the eyedrops four hourly which is better for him since he is also forgetful. I had to remind him a couple of times today.

No comments: