Saturday, September 08, 2007

My Almost-Clergy Friend

When I was in secondary school, I was the leader of a Christian society for one year and it was at this time I met this guy during an inter-school Christian fellowship. He was the leader of another school's Christian group.

He was a very charismatic person and left a very good impression on me. By the time the fellowship which lasted three days ended, we had became good friends. He talked to me about his plans to leave town to undergo a course to become a priest. A few days later, we met again when I attended his farewell tea-party at his house.

Later that night, he came to my house on his motorbike. Riding pillion was a girl I was slightly acquainted with. He gave me a bunch of flowers. It was the first time I received flowers from a guy, from anyone for that matter.

But I'd never had thought this would be the type of situation when I'd first receive flowers from a guy. You see, the girl was his girlfriend and they were having their last night out together before he left town. He gave me the flowers to thank me for being such a good friend, listening to his "problems". I guessed he brought his girlfriend along to show her that our relationship was "clean".

Later, when he was at the seminary we corresponded by mail and he told me of the hardships he had to endure. I could see that his strength to continue his training was wavering. I tried to encourage him to continue. After a while, the letters got fewer as I got busier with work, having graduated from school. I was not sure what the reason was at his end.

But soon, I lost touch with him as I went on with my life, with work and another man. Later in life, I feel bad that during that period, I had "neglected" him, not that I could do much though.

Years later, I found out that he had came home, having left the seminary without completing the course. However, he had stayed active in his religious calling by giving Christian seminars. I also heard he's now married, with kids. I'm very sure the wife's the girl on his motorbike that night he came to give me the flowers.

I've never met him again since that night and I've never attended the seminars he conducted so I have no idea how he looks like now. I do wonder though whether he would be able to recognise me after all these years since I'm no longer the wide-eyed bespectacled pony tail school girl he once knew.

No comments: